lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <>
Subject Re: Interested in joining
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:03:16 GMT

great to see your intrest in helping lucene to move forward. Its an
amazing time to get started as we are moving very quickly development
wise right now. To get started it might be the easiest if you get
familiar with how we work and how apache works. The Contribution Guide
(  might be a very
good place to start from.
You should have a JIRA account and a working dev environment to run
tests etc. - don't hesitate to check out the latest trunk or one of
the branches if you wanna work on one of those. We currently have 3
branches with active development side by side with the trunk:
Under  you find 5

branch_3x/ - a branch that maintains compatibility with 3.x releases
and is the place for backporting importent and yet compatible features
to the 3.x versions.
bulkpostings/ - Bulkreading support for postinglists see
docvalues/ - Column Stride fields, see
realtime_search/ - Realtime search branch, see

under you find the
latest trunk sources. It might be a good idea to check those out and
run a "ant clean test" and see if it build and tests successful.

Once you are set up its up to you to fix bugs if you find one, you
don't need a mentor - once you open an issue you should get attention
from one of the committers and / or one of the other contributors who
works with you towards a committable patch.

Don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Radha Damera <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a Sr. application (java) developer working from the past 8yrs. I am
> interested in joining this community. Please let me know where/how I should
> start.
> Thanks,
> Radha

To unsubscribe, e-mail: