lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject wind down for 3.1?
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:00:56 GMT
Hello,

Per Shai's previous note, we decided we wanted to work towards a 3.1
release (he mentioned a target date of march 1, don't think this will
happen)

Despite this, I propose we do a 'casual freeze' on the 3.x code base
in 7 days time, in other words we agree for a few weeks we will focus
on bugs and tests only in branch_3x and try to shorten, not length the
list of issues in JIRA (unless these issues are bugs!).

The reason I say this, versus creating a release branch right now, is
that I think we should take advantage of our stable branch (branch_3x)
and avoid branching until the last minute: when we are ready to make
an RC.

I think any features/improvements that cannot be done in 7 days should
really wait for 3.2 instead... and we shouldn't wait a year for that
one to release either... we have a stable branch, lets take advantage
of it.

So, please let me know your opinions on this proposal, if there is
consensus, then in 7 days I will move all non-bug/non-test 3.1 issues
to 3.2.

And of course, trunk would be unaffected by all of this... we should
never freeze trunk. I would suggest we just delay backporting of new
features developed in trunk during this process, keeping their jira
issues open and set for Fix Version 3.2

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message