lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should ASCIIFoldingFilter be deprecated?
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:55:35 GMT
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
> I haven't done any benchmarking, but I'm pretty sure that ASCIIFoldingFilter can achieve
a significantly higher throughput rate than MappingCharFilter, and given that, it probably
makes sense to keep both, to allow people to make the choice about the tradeoff between the
flexibility provided by the human-readable (and editable) mapping file and the speed provided
by ASCIIFoldingFilter.

I agree... have you seen http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/7743 ?

Hopefully something along those lines would allow us to support the
flexibility in a factory or whatever (even better as described, when
you just want a small tweak) but still with good performance.