lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:35:55 GMT
Hey David,

I saw that you added a tiny line to the GSoC Lucene wiki - thanks for that.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM, David Nemeskey
<nemeskey.david@sztaki.hu> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Mark, Robert, Simon: thanks for the support! I really hope we can work
> together this summer (and before that, obviously).
Same here!

> According to http://www.google-
> melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline , there's
> still some time until the application period. So let me use this week to finish
> my PhD research plan, and get back to you next week.
>
> I am not really familiar with how the program works, i.e. how detailed the
> application description should be, when mentorship is decided, etc. so I guess
> we will have a lot to talk about. :)

so from a 10000ft view it work like this:

1. Write up a short proposal what your idea is about
2. make it public! and publish a implementation plan - how you would
want to realize your proposal. If you don't follow that 100% in the
actual impl. don't worry. Its just mean to give us an idea that you
know what you are doing and where you want to go. something like a 1
A4 rough design doc.
3. give other people the change to apply for the same suggestion (this
is how it works though)
4 Let the ASF / us assign one or more possible mentors to it
5. let us apply for a slot in GSoC (those are limited for organizations)
6. get accepted
7. rock it!

> (Actually, should we move this discussion private?)
no - we usually do everything in public except of discussion within
the PMC that are meant to be private for legal reasons or similar
things. Lets stick to the mailing list for all communication except
you have something that should clearly not be public. This also give
other contributors a chance to help and get interested in your work!!

simon