lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release 3.2 (was Re: Please mark distributed date faceting for 3.1)
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:00:42 GMT
Mark,
I understand what you are saying. In this case, there are two issues
that are not making it into 3.1 because they landed too late. After the
freeze. The contributions appear to be done. So, the itch at this point
needs to be scratched by one or more committers, to commit the changes
and to act as release manager.

It appears to me, that the effort to commit the contributions are
minimal, and that in this case the true cost is that of doing the release.

As to release discussions involving maven: if the next release were in a
couple of months and nothing had been contributed to make maven better,
why would it even need to be discussed. The last decision could still
stand. I think it is the long time between releases that bring up the
same intensity on the maven discussion.

-- DM

On 02/15/2011 12:08 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> More contributors contributin' will help us get there!
>
> Release work is not glorious. Release work is not fun (most of it). Release discussions
involve...*cough*...Maven...

> Been there. Many hands make light work or something though.
>
> Many want more releases - few have more time to give - that's my impression. Open Source
- help scratch your itch is the best advice I can give.

> - Mark
>
> On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Bill Bell wrote:
>
>> I would love to see a release every 3 to 6 months too
>>
>> Bill Bell
>> Sent from mobile
>>

>> On Feb 15, 2011, at 8:55 AM, DM Smith<dmsmith555@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Can we see more frequent releases? Can we look forward to a 3.2 release in a
few months? Say May 15? That'd be a "quarterly" release cycle.