lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Drapkin <edwa...@wolfram.com>
Subject Potential contrib module
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:33:33 GMT
Hello all,

Pending approval (which is almost certain) from management, I have a
potential module that I'd like to contribute if possible.  Before I go
to management, I'd like to be able to make a case that I'm certain this
will be approved by Lucene, although I am all but completely sure that
there won't be a problem contributing back.

I've been working on some utilities that allow one to use Mathematica
with Lucene - most notably a FilteredTermEnum/Query implementation that
allow one to use arbitrary Mathematica expressions in searches.  It's
not quite finished yet, but functional and useful.  My question is what
do I need to do to be able to contribute this?  The dependent libraries
(there are two, one in Java, one JNI) both ship with Mathematica and are
largely dependent on the version of Mathematica in use, so they wouldn't
need to ship with the module which should avoid licensing conflicts.
Does the dependence on a proprietary piece of software, though,
eliminate this from being contributed?  If not, what requirements are
necessary for contributing?  Is there a guide anywhere on how to prepare
the code (unit test requirements, documentation requirements, naming
conventions, etc.)?

Thanks,
Eddie