lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:05:09 GMT
-1 from me on dropping Maven artifacts.

I find it curious that on the verge of fixing the broken Maven artifacts situation (LUCENE-2657),
there is a big push for a divorce.

Robert, I agree we should have a way to test the "magic" artifacts.  I'm working on it.  Your
other objection is the work involved - you don't want to do it.  I will do the work.

We should not drop Maven support when there are committers willing to support it.  I obviously
count myself in that camp.

Steve

Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey
>
> Wearing on my rebel hat today, I'd like to propose we drop maven support
> from our release process / build system. I've always read about the maven
> artifacts never being produced right, and never working (or maybe never is a
> too harsh word).
>
> I personally don't understand why we struggle to support Maven. I'm
> perfectly fine if we say that "Lucene/Solr uses SVN, Ant and release a bunch
> of .jar files you can embed in your project". Who says we need to support
> Maven? And if so, why only Maven (I'm kidding !)?
>
> Are you with me? :)

I am, the last time i suggested releasing 3.1, a 99-email thread about
maven ensued that basically left me frustrated and not wanting to work
towards a release.

We still don't have a "test-maven" target that does even trivial
verification of these magical artifacts that most of us don't
understand... like any other functionality we have, we should have
tests so that the release manager can verify things are working before
the release.  If we have a "contrib" thats unmaintained with no tests,
would we let it block a release?

I don't think we should let the maven problems hold lucene releases hostage.