Fair enough - I might give it a shot if most functionality is compatible to solr 1.4.1 to your mind? and is fairly stable?

One last Q regarding correct usage of per-segment FieldCache in Solr components -

since this is something I might also have issues with elsewhere, and I suspect other people who work on custom logic as well,
i think it might be useful to have some documentation and/or a simple programmatic interface for implementing
correct access path to these inside a custom SolrComponent.

I looked around the Grouping code abit and have yet to fully understand whats going on, but is the ValueSource supposed to take care of access to underlying field?

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Adam H. <jimmoefoe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Yonik.
> Thanks for clarifying.
> The reason I went rolling my own way - I asked previously is there's any
> plan to back-port the field collapse to solr 1.4 and
> I understood that its not at all straight forward.

Ahhh... I'd just use trunk if possible ;-)

The risks to being in production on custom code that no one else uses
is perhaps greater than running on a widely used development version.

But yes... I don't see a backport happening for 1.4

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com