lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changes Mess
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:46:39 GMT
I think we should drop the item by item change list and instead focus on 3 things:
1. Prose describing the new features (see Tika's changes file for instance) and things users
should pay special attention to such as when they might need to re-index.
2. Calling out explicit compatibility breaks
3. A Pointer to full list of changes in JIRA.  Alternatively, I believe there is a way in
JIRA to export/generate a summary of all issues fixed.

#1 can be done right before release simply by going through #3 and doing the appropriate wordsmithing.
 #2 should be tracked as it is found.

It's kind of silly that we have all this duplication of effort built in, not too mention having
to track it across two branches.

We do this over in Mahout and I think it works pretty well and reduces the duplication quite
a bit since everything is already in JIRA and JIRA produces nice summaries too.  It also encourages
people to track things better in JIRA.  #1 above also lends itself well as the basis of press
releases/blogs/etc.

-Grant