lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Consolidate MP and LMP
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:25:01 GMT
Hi

While IndexWriter declares it accepts a general MP, it will actually fail if
the given instance is not LogMP. So I wonder if we shouldn't consolidate
both of them into one, and pull up all of LMP features to MP. I think all of
LMP's features are useful for any kind of MP, and if someone wants to ignore
them he still can.

This is not the sort of change that fits well in trunk. IMO it can fit well
in 3x too since IW didn't accept anything that is not LMP. So even if it
will appear we're breaking back-compat, we actually won't. Which is another
reason, for me, why those two should be consolidated.

What do you think?

Shai