lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changes Mess
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:18:45 GMT
On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> RE: the credit system. JIRA provides a contribution report here, like this one that I
generated for Lucene 3.1:

My concern with this is that it leaves out important email contributors.

For example if a user reports a bug, we typically include their name
in CHANGES.txt
The user who reports the bug does the "hard work" of finding that
there is a bug and reporting it to us.
Additionally sometimes they do extra stuff, boiling the problem down
to a certain piece of code, into a test case, etc, even if they don't
know how to fix the bug.
Then again, maybe they are a solr user who doesn't even know the java
programming language but finds a nasty bug in lucene.

In all cases I think if a user finds a bug and we fix it, its
important we credit them as we should encourage people to find bugs :)