lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <>
Subject Re: Consolidate MP and LMP
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:44:33 GMT
Actually, in trunk IW doesn't break on anything else.

There's one private no-longer-used method I forgot to delete on my
drop-all-deprecations spree.
And there's a block in addIndexes, that explicitly checks instanceof,
and only then casts to LMP.

I'm against consolidating MP and LMP. MP is a damn interface!
We should strive to make things less coupled rather than other way around.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:25, Shai Erera <> wrote:
> Hi
> While IndexWriter declares it accepts a general MP, it will actually fail if
> the given instance is not LogMP. So I wonder if we shouldn't consolidate
> both of them into one, and pull up all of LMP features to MP. I think all of
> LMP's features are useful for any kind of MP, and if someone wants to ignore
> them he still can.
> This is not the sort of change that fits well in trunk. IMO it can fit well
> in 3x too since IW didn't accept anything that is not LMP. So even if it
> will appear we're breaking back-compat, we actually won't. Which is another
> reason, for me, why those two should be consolidated.
> What do you think?
> Shai

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (
Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4