lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam H." <jimmoe...@gmail.com>
Subject FieldCache usage for custom field collapse in solr 1.4
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2010 23:12:15 GMT
Hey,
I'm trying to use the lucene FieldCache for some custom field collapsing
implementation: basically i'm collapsing on a non-stored field,
and so am using the fieldcache to retrieve field value instances during run.

I noticed I'm getting some OOM's after deploying it, and after looking into
it for abit, figured that it might be to do with using a call like this:

StringIndex fieldCacheVals = FieldCache.DEFAULT.getStringIndex(reader,
collapseField);

where 'reader' is the instance of the SolrIndexReader passed along to the
component with the ResponseBuilder.SolrQueryRequest object.

As I understand, this can double memory usage due to (re)loading this
fieldcache on a reader-wide basis rather than on a per segment basis?
If so, what would be a way to migrate this code to use a per segment cache?
i'm not sure I understand the semantics there at all...

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks alot!

Adam