lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LuceneTestCase.threadCleanup incorrectly reports left running threads
Date Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:20:02 GMT
On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Md5 is guaranteed to be there (like utf8 as charset). This is documented in crypto Api,
which algorithms are available for digest.

where is this documented? its not in the javadocs.

anyway, we shouldn't be doing this:
* this algorithm might not exist on J2ME etc (still java), you need to
install an extra crypto add-on.
* we shouldnt start up an expensive PKI infrastructure on mac os X,
including spawning a new thread, just to hash a string. thats absurd.
* we pay all these costs ... for md5! its not even a good hash!