lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consolidate MP and LMP
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:22:05 GMT
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 15:04, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Earwin:
>
> LogMergePolicy.getUseCompoundFile() is a public and not private API on
> trunk, not deprecated and used. Perhaps you are talking about something
> else?

I was speaking of getLogMergePolicy that you mentioned:

> 1) Fix IW to not case to LMP just to ask if it should create compound files or not. And
then we can perhaps remove getLogMergePolicy from IW on 3x, and also removing the source for
confusion.

This one cannot be removed in 3x, and can safely be dropped on trunk.

> I'm aware of LUCENE-2773, but still, if you look at LMP's
> getUseCompoundFile() in trunk, you'll see it does not factor in the
> noCFSRatio setting. It always returns 'useCompoundFile'.
getUseCompoundFile() is a setting on LMP. It shouldn't be read
anywhere at all (except maybe some client code) (and maybe should not
exist at all).
The actual callback that 'should' factor in noCFSRatio is called
useCompoundFile(SIs, SI).
But it seems Mike's patch only affects compound files created due to
merging, not ones created when adding docs.
Goddamn, how ugly.

I think we need at least remove useCompoundFile field from OneMerge,
and always call useCompoundFile(SIs, SI) to decide whether to pack new
segment, regardless of how it was produced, whether by addIndexes,
merging, writing docs, or anything else.

Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785