lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: Changes Mess
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:08:07 GMT
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Grant Ingersoll <> wrote:

> Our new Changes could be structured like below.  The important thing about this approach
is that it can all more or less be written at release time other than the contributor list
and perhaps the back compat section.

Well this is important about the approach: and scary.
Typically if we add/change something and we do it incrementally, we
might add 50 jira issues till we get where we want.
But at the end of the day the user doesn't care about our
experiments/refactoring/incremental improvements, only the end
user-affecting change.

if we move to this, it puts quite a burden on the release manager to
edit the jira-generated list determine which issues/how to describe
the "end feature" that the user needs to know about...

today, every committer is responsible for presenting their changes in
CHANGES.txt in a way that makes sense to the user, and I think this is
easier since they were the one working on it, and its fresh in their

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message