lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Changes Mess
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:57:36 GMT
Hey Robert,

I feel ya. +1 to releasing more often! :)

Cheers,
Chris

On Dec 6, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah in the end all I can say is that you basically get out of JIRA what you put
into it. What you call extra work is just something that I would do anyways working on some
of my projects. I'm not saying it's *not difficult* and super easy, but we've just decided
in those cases to invest time into the issue management system so that we can get the reports
we want out of it.

>> I've seen this work both ways: in the early days of Nutch there were intense debates
on simply moving everything to JIRA versus maintaining a disconnected CHANGES.txt file. I've
heard all the arguments (many times over) on both sides including tidbits like "oh I don't
want to go to a separate URL as a consumer of software just to see what changed in it" to
"what's so hard about doing a curl or wget on an Internet-connected system which most of our
software assumes nowadays"?, those types of things.

>> When the dust cleared, I think I like the approach we use in Tika (and that I use
in a number of projects at JPL) which is just to maintain the information in JIRA. It's worked
for us since it's a single source to curate that type of information; it produces very useable
reports (not perfect, but useable) that are good enough for us in terms of trading between
the different properties we want to maximize (user contribution acknowledgement, change history,
etc.)

> I agree with what you said, and as I mentioned before I'm not opposed
> to the idea at all.
>
> But if we are going to rely on JIRA more to produce this
> documentation, we need to make some major changes to how we use it, to
> avoid some of the problems I mentioned...
>
> The scariest part to me about this approach is that we unfortunately
> have very long release cycles. So i'm worried about this documentation
> being generated and fixed "at release time" versus incrementally where
> its fresh in our mind... thats a lot of editing and filtering to do.
>
> Obviously I feel this would be mitigated and other things much better
> if we released more often but thats a harder problem, this is just the
> situation as it is now.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246