lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rethinking spatial implementation
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 00:10:07 GMT

On Nov 6, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Ryan, thx for your answer.
>
> You mean there is room for improvement and volunteers?

We've been looking at replacing it with the Military Grid system.  The primary issue with
the current is that the Sinusoidal projection is broken which then breaks almost all the tests.
 I worked on it for a while trying to straighten it out, but gave up and now think it is easier
to implement clean.  I definitely would like to see a tier/grid implementation.

> On Friday, November 5, 2010, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Christopher -
>>
>> I do not believe there is any active work on this.  From what I
>> understand, the Tier implementation works OK within some constraints,
>> but we could not get it to pass more robust testing that the other
>> methods were using.
>>
>> However, LatLonType and GeoHashField are well tested and work well --
>> the Tier type may have better performance when your index is really
>> large, but no active developers understand it and no-one has stepped
>> up to figure it out.
>>
>> ryan
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Christopher Schmidt
>> <fakod666@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I saw a mail thread "Rethinking Cartesian Tiers implementation" (here).
>>> Is there any work in progress regarding this? If yes, is the current
>>> implementation deprecated or do you plan some enhancements (other
>>> projections or spatial indexes) ?
>>> I am asking because I want to use Lucene's spatial indexing in a production
>>> system...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christopher
>>> twitter: @fakod
>>> blog: http://blog.fakod.eu

> --
> Christopher
> twitter: @fakod
> blog: http://blog.fakod.eu

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search