lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API Semantics and Backwards
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:47:11 GMT
I realize the benefits of not storing the backwards source -- I don't care
too much about the size of the checkout, but more about it making
introducing bw breaks easier.

And that that it happened w/ MockRAMDir only so far, doesn't mean it won't
bite us somewhere else too. But it's not a good enough reason to create a
bw/src/java either.

It would be great if we can remove all the unrelated tests from backwards.
As I see it, we should have two types of tests - those that check that
*public* API hasn't changed, and this can be in the form of reflection or
simply creating classes that call/extend the public API. Also, we want to
have tests that assert *runtime* backwards support, such as for Tokenizers,
QueryParser etc. For those we can have special test cases that assert
exactly that.

Like you said, the rest of the tests just increase the test running time.

Shai