lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: deprecating Versions
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:50:02 GMT
bq. not true. at some point you have to re-index, this isn't database
software. i suggest between major versions!

API/index compatibility was discussed some time ago, and there was a
kind of consensus I believe.
For APIs:
* Compatibility is guaranteed across minor releases, eg - within 2.x,
3.x, 4.x branches.
* We reserve the right to break it for major releases, eg - 4.x is a
break from 3.x. Though still try to forewarn people with deprecations
in previous branch, if possible.

And for indexes:
* Index compatibility is guaranteed across two adjacent major
releases. eg 2.x -> 3.x, 3.x -> 4.x.
 That includes both binary compat - codecs, and semantic compat -
analyzers (if appropriate Version is used).
* Older releases are most probably unsupported.
 e.g. 4.x still supports shared docstores for reading, though never
writes them. 5.x won't read them either, so you'll have to at least
fully optimize your 3.x indexes when going through 4.x to 5.x.

Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785