lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build problems (sorry for the second double-post)
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 00:23:31 GMT
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uwe:
> Thanks, I'll update the "how to contribute" page with your comments.
> Robert:
> I'm using ant. I could have been clearer about that. There is no mention of
> maven at all on the "how to contribute" page, and I'm playing the
> "naive user" role here because it's a natural role for me....

well, this is helpful, here is some explanation for each unique issue
you have (I have windows too, so some of it i see)

>     [junit] Testsuite:
> org.apache.solr.client.solrj.response.TestSpellCheckResponse
>     [junit] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 1.346 sec
>     [junit]
>     [junit] ------------- Standard Error -----------------
>     [junit] !!!! WARNING: best effort to remove
> C:\apache_trunk\trunk\solr\build\test-results\temp\6\solrtest-TestSpellCheckResponse-1288644520922\spellchecker\_4.cfs
> FAILED !!!!!
>     [junit] !!!! WARNING: best effort to remove
> C:\apache_trunk\trunk\solr\build\test-results\temp\6\solrtest-TestSpellCheckResponse-1288644520922\spellchecker
> FAILED !!!!!
>     [junit] !!!! WARNING: best effort to remove
> C:\apache_trunk\trunk\solr\build\test-results\temp\6\solrtest-TestSpellCheckResponse-1288644520922
> FAILED !!!!!
>     [junit] ------------- ---------------- ---------------

This is just a warning, no test failed, only the "best effort to
remove the spellchecker index failed".

So, the problem here is
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1877 (unclosed spellcheck
reader).

The solr base test classes (AbstractSolrTestCase, SolrTestCaseJ4)
check that they can remove their temporary directories completely...
on windows because the reader isn't closed, they can't do this, so
they emit these warnings.

In lucene, we have a similar check in LuceneTestCase, except the test
will actually fail, and it uses MockDirectoryWrapper so that the tests
always "act like they are on windows" regardless of the OS.

It might be a good idea to make a MockDirectoryWrapperFactory, and use
it for all Solr tests for these reasons (we can disable this pickiness
for the two solr tests, but at least it would be consistent on windows
and linux). Its also handy if you want to emulate things like
disk-full in tests...

> *************************************
> This looks more promising:
>     [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.solr.cloud.CloudStateUpdateTest
>     [junit] Testcase:
> testCoreRegistration(org.apache.solr.cloud.CloudStateUpdateTest): FAILED
>     [junit]
>     [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
>     [junit] at
> org.apache.solr.cloud.CloudStateUpdateTest.testCoreRegistration(CloudStateUpdateTest.java:170)

This is a real test failure, fails often in hudson too. This looks
like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2159

> ******************
>
>     [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.solr.velocity.VelocityResponseWriterTest
>     [junit] Testcase:
> testTemplateName(org.apache.solr.velocity.VelocityResponseWriterTest):
> Caused an ERROR
>     [junit] org.apache.log4j.Logger.setAdditivity(Z)V
>     [junit] java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.apache.log4j.Logger.setAdditivity(Z)V

Hmm, are you sure you got a clean checkout? NoSuchMethod error is
wierd to see here, I don't see it.

Other people have seen this, and somehow fixed it... we should get to
the bottom of this/document whatever the fix is at least !

> *********************************
>     [junit]
>     [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.solr.handler.TestReplicationHandler
>     [junit] Tests run: 7, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 46.863 sec
>     [junit]
>     [junit] ------------- Standard Error -----------------
>     [junit] 01/11/2010 06:48:51 ? org.apache.solr.handler.SnapPuller
> fetchLatestIndex
>     [junit] SEVERE: Master at: http://localhost:51343/solr/replication is
> not available. Index fetch failed. Exception: Connection refused: connect

This is just a noisy/crazy test and it often logs scary/severe errors
for me. But as you see, it didnt fail.