lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject API Semantics and Backwards
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 06:45:58 GMT
Hi

I'd like to discuss the semantics of our API and how backwards tests relate
to it. First, I'd like to confirm my understanding - currently it relates to
3x, but it will apply to 4x after 4.0 will be released:

Public/Protected -- this API is 'public' and we should maintain back-compat,
in the form of jar drop-in. That is, we cannot rename or modify it, w/o
deprecating first (I leave *exceptions* deliberately outside the
discussion).

Package-private -- this is not public API and while users can use it if they
declare their classes under the relevant package, they should not expect jar
drop-in support.

Public @internal -- this is public API following Java language, however not
public to the users. We need to make this API public so that Lucene can
access it, but it's used for internal purposes only. Users can still use it,
however cannot expect jar drop-in support.

Public @experimental -- this API is intended to be made 'public' one day,
however we're still working on it, and even though it's checked-in or even
released, it may change unexpectedly. Not sure we want to say that jar
drop-in support cannot be expected, though according to the definition we
are allowed to change it ... so perhaps it's like @internal, only w/ the
intention to make it public one day.

Both @internal and @experimental tags should be removed if they do not apply
anymore.

Now comes the question about backwards tests -- our tests touch all the API
types above, however they are not resilient to changes in 3 out of 4 of
them. In the past this wasn't a problem - the backwards layer had both
src/java and src/test, tests we compiled against src/java and then executed
against core.jar. This allowed changing the source code of the "non public"
API and make the same changes to backwards/src/java, and tests would still
run. This had a disadvantage too - it was 'easier' to break back-compat on
the first API type (the *true* public API) because you could still change
bw/src/java and be done w/ it.

Today though bw tests are compiled against the previous release source. But
if you make changes to the non public API, they break while they shouldn't.
So the question is what can we do about the backwards tests so that we can
still make allowed changes to the API w/o them breaking?

* We can say that unit tests should not test package-private / @internal /
@experimental classes, but I don't believe in it.

* We can re-introduce bw/src/java and ask all committers to make careful
changes to it. If we're careful, we won't introduce any *true* public API
break.

The second is the more realistic solution IMO, but since this was the
situation in the past and changed to how it is today, I don't know if it's
acceptable.

Whatever we do though, we cannot have backwards tests dictate what is public
API and what isn't, because bw tests are compiled following Java semantics,
that have nothing to do w/ Lucene's 'public' notion.

Shai