lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: deprecating Versions
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:34:27 GMT
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:
> And for indexes:
> * Index compatibility is guaranteed across two adjacent major
> releases. eg 2.x -> 3.x, 3.x -> 4.x.
>  That includes both binary compat - codecs, and semantic compat -
> analyzers (if appropriate Version is used).
> * Older releases are most probably unsupported.
>  e.g. 4.x still supports shared docstores for reading, though never
> writes them. 5.x won't read them either, so you'll have to at least
> fully optimize your 3.x indexes when going through 4.x to 5.x.

Is it somehow possible i could convince everyone that all the
analyzers we provide are simply examples?
This way we could really make this a bit more reasonable and clean up
a lot of stuff.

Seems like we really want to move towards a more declarative model
where these are just config files... so only then it will ok for us to
change them because they suddenly aren't suffixed with .java?!