lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1032995 - in /lucene/dev/trunk/solr/src/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/images: solr.jpg solr_FC.eps
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:16:18 GMT
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> You can read it at http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

I did - but just because it appears on a web page does not make it
true.  There have been *many* examples (and still are many examples)
of things that are on our websites that are not strictly true.

> , which is what I'm following and explains in the first paragraph.  I don't understand
why it is a big deal to add a little TM on the logo.

Part of it is uglification, part of it is slippery slope.  I see
increasing micro-management and rigidity and it's something I actively
fight against ;-)

> It's standard practice for anyone wanting to protect their names/logos

http://www.pg.com/
http://www.pepsi.com/
http://www.kraftfoodscompany.com
http://www.unilever.com/
http://www.conocophillips.com/
http://www.3m.com/
http://www.boeing.com/
http://www.pfizer.com/home/
http://www.google.com/
http://www.apple.com/
http://www.jnj.com/
http://www.ge.com/
http://www.att.com/
http://www.verizon.com

In my quick survey of some of the biggest companies off the top of my
head, about 75% did not.

> and as you stated, they are already trademarked items.

meaning it shouldn't be necessary.

-Yonik