lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: Stemming using automata
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:37:47 GMT
Karl, you are right.

this is one of the ways i originally used this thing.

i've done some relevance experiments along these lines (some summary
results here

in this case i compared 3 cases: index-time porter stemming,
index-time plural stemming, and query-time plural stemming (with

in general you can get similar results, slower query speed, but more
flexibility. for instance, you could have a queryparser that
implements a stem() operator without indexing everything twice.

probably pretty boring for most people, but in some cases (e.g. lots
of languages) query-time starts to become more attractive...

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM,  <> wrote:
> Folks,
> I had an interesting conversation with Simon a few weeks back.  It occurred
> to me that it might be possible to build an automata that handles  stemming
> and pluralization on searches.  Just a thought…
> Karl

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message