lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stemming using automata
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:37:47 GMT
Karl, you are right.

this is one of the ways i originally used this thing.

i've done some relevance experiments along these lines (some summary
results here http://www.slideshare.net/otisg/finite-state-queries-in-lucene).

in this case i compared 3 cases: index-time porter stemming,
index-time plural stemming, and query-time plural stemming (with
automaton).

in general you can get similar results, slower query speed, but more
flexibility. for instance, you could have a queryparser that
implements a stem() operator without indexing everything twice.

probably pretty boring for most people, but in some cases (e.g. lots
of languages) query-time starts to become more attractive...