lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API Semantics and Backwards
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:02:37 GMT
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:47 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like you said, the rest of the tests just increase the test running time.

I'm not completely sure about this: do we always switch over our tests
to do the equivalent checks both against the new API and the old API
when we make API changes? There could be bugs in our 'backwards
handling' that are actually logic bugs that the new tests dont detect.

So I'm a little concerned about only running "pure" simplistic API
tests in backwards.

On the other hand, I'm really worried about what Shai brings up here:
we are doing some refactoring of the tests system and there is more
shared code at the moment: similar to MockRAMDirectory.
Because we worry about preventing things like index corruption, its my
opinion we need things like MockRAMDirectory, and they should be able
to break all the rules/etc (use pkg-private APIS) if we can prevent
bugs.
Just look at our trunk or 3.x tests and imagine them as backwards
tests... these sort of "utilities" like RandomIndexWriter will be more
fragile to internal/experimental/pkg-private changes, but as mentioned
above i think these are good to have in backwards tests.

So, I think at the moment I'm leaning towards the idea of going back
towards a checkout that we can modify, in combination with us all
soliciting more reviews / longer time for any backports to stable
branches that require backwards tests modifications?  I understand
Uwe's point too, its dangerous to modify the code and seems to defeat
the purpose of backwards, but I think this is going to be a more
serious problem after releasing 3.1!