lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mark Harwood (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SOLR-2235) The specified network name is no longer available
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:23:14 GMT


Mark Harwood commented on SOLR-2235:

I've seen this on a (non Solr) Lucene deployment just recently.
It happens when the networked file system drops out temporarily leaving IndexReaders with
invalidated file handles.

The solution we have implemented is to introduce a wrapper to detect this particular type
of IOException and automatically attempt to reload the search services.
This is arguably a fault that shouldn't be tolerated (file systems shouldn't just disappear)
but there's also the argument that if and when it does happen clients shouldn't be inconvenienced
while sysadmins rush to reboot broken servers.

> The specified network name is no longer available 
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: SOLR-2235
>                 URL:
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 1.3, 1.4, 1.4.1
>            Reporter: Reshma
> Using Solr 1.4 hosted with Tomcat 6 on Windows 2003
> Search becomes unavailable at times. At the time of failure, solr admin page will be
loading. But when we make search query we are getting the following error
> ================
> HTTP Status 500 - The specified network name is no longer available
The specified network name is no longer 
> available at Method) at
Source) at 
> at 
> at
> ( at at

> at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermEnum.scanTo
> ( at org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader.get(
> org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader.get( at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.docFreq
> ( at org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.docFreq(
> at
> ( at
>$TermWeight.<init>( at
> ( at at
> ( at at

> at

> at 
> at 
> org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.process( at

> org.apache.solr.handler.component.CollapseComponent.process(
> org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(
> org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(
at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute
> ( at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.execute(
> org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter( at 
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke( at

> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke( at

> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( at 
> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke( at 
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke( at

> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service( at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process
> ( at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process
> ( at$
> (Unknown Source) 
> ===========================
> The error stops when we restart Tomcat.  We are using a file server to store the actual
index files, which are not on the same machine as Solr/Tomcat. We have checked and confirmed
with the network team that there was no issue. Can some one help us to fix the issue

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message