lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solr example synonyms file
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 02:08:31 GMT
On 11/2/10 9:57 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Lance Norskog <goksron@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just used One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish but I think that has
>> license problems.
>> Also, the sample should include multi-word left-hand values because they work.
>>

> I don't think we should do this... i suggest only using single word
> synonyms in the example for performance reasons!
>
> it doesnt really matter how rare they are: even "the quick brown fox"
> => something is terrible, because its going to invoke SynonymFilter's
> "slow path" for every single instance of "the".
>
> i know some insist its just an "example" and not defaults, but this
> isn't true, else why did this email thread even come up? its used as
> "defaults", and we should keep it very fast.

We have discussed this before - there is always nasty compromise when it
comes to example vs default. Good for one is often not good for the
other. But like it or not, our example pretty much is the defacto
default as you say.

As a reminder, in the past we have talked about doing both an example
with all the bells and whistles, and a performance config that you
should really start from. But we have not gotten there obviously ;) Adds
some dev/maint overhead as well.

No real points, just chiming in with that.

- Mark