lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Manuel Gonzalo <gonz...@strands.com>
Subject Re: Newbie question on distributed writes onto SolrCloud
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:57:25 GMT
Thanks for your answer.

I would be really interested in developing this system for distributed writing. Could you
please give me a pair of hints about where I should start looking into the code in order to
make these modifications? Or is it something that should be developed completely outside the
current code?

Thanks!

On 26/11/2010, at 21:16, Upayavira wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:56 +0100, "Manuel Gonzalo" <gonzalo@strands.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> while investigating SolrCloud for our distributed search needs  I can't
>> seem to find the means to perform distributed writes/updates ...
>> Distributed access to data is available but from what I understood each
>> node has to be accessed independently in order to write/update a value.
>>
>> Is this so or am I missing something?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>
> As I understand it, distributed write is a TODO as a part of SolrCloud.
>
> It would require a ShardStrategy interface, and probably a default
> interface that simply does a MOD shard_count on the document ID.
>
> Also, it would have to split incoming posts and distrubute amongst
> shards (an incoming block of 500 documents would maybe end up as 5 posts
> of 100 if we had five shards).
>
> Upayavira

Manuel Gonzalo
Software Engineer