lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <uschind...@apache.org>
Subject Disk I/O on FreeBSD zone lucene.zones.apache.org is very slow
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2010 12:19:27 GMT
Hi,

Since this morning suddenly our Hudson slave for Lucene
(lucene.zones.apache.org) is very slow on disk i/o. Simple processes like
"find . -name xxx" take minutes. "iostat" shows moderate activity.
Interestingly when opening "top" on a second console you see all "hanging"
processes in a strange state: "zio-????", where ??? is incomplete as clipped
by top. I have never seen this before, seems FreeBSD specific. According to
Google that seems to have something to do with ZFS.

Whats wrong? The problem is that the Lucene Hudson builds (which use high
disk IO) don't like this and even sometimes the JVMs segfault!

Thanks for looking into this,
Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler