lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: svn commit: r1040145 - /lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/store/RAMDirectory.java
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:31:58 GMT
--- From: Shai Erera [mailto:serera@gmail.com] ---
Uwe, I'm sorry people rushed in to believe I broke backwards ... because I
don't think I did. My only mistake was that I didn't run test-backwards,
'cause I didn't really think anything can break by using CHM and not HM.

fileMap was package-private until two days ago (LUCENE-2778) when I made it
protected - therefore it wasn't a public API, right? If it wasn't public,
we're allowed to change it right? The break was only in MockRAMDir, and even
that is because I changed fileMap type from HashMap to Map, which IMO should
have been defined like that from the beginning.
---

Hi Shai,

Sorry I did not know that this field was package private before, I was only
looking at the test. I am then fine with the patch. I have seen the other
mail about backwards breaks and backwards tests - here the fix for this
stupid HashMap/Map issue is easy, simply apply the BW patch attached to the
issue.

One thing: As you made the map protected in the previous issue, and it is
never changed, for API safety it should be final in all cases! Can you
change that, too. The reference to the Map should never be changed.

See also my comments to the other mail!

Uwe