lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Solr 3.1 back compat
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:55:01 GMT

: As part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2080, I'd like to
: rework the SpellCheckComponent just a bit to be more generic.  I think I
: can maintain the URL APIs (i.e. &spellcheck.*) in a back compatible way,
: but I would like change some of the Java classes a bit, namely
: level are named after spell checking.  I know we generally don't worry
: too much about Java interfaces in Solr, but this seems like one area
: where people do sometimes write their own.  The changes will be mostly

Go for it.

Solr 3.1 will be a major new release compared to 1.4.  we shouldn't go out
of our way to break compatibility for no reason, but if it allows us to
add new functionality i wouldn't hesitated -- especially if it's just an
internal Java API change and not an end user HTTP API change.

Even for HTTP API (or response structure) changes don't be shy about
changing things if you think it really improves stuff -- the only
hesitation i would have is in changes that are subtle and not entirely
obvious -- it's better to break back compat in a way that causes an
immediate and obvious failure then to change things it in a way that only
breaks compat in *some* cases.  (ie: if you want to change the response
structure from spellcheck, change it significantly enough that old parsing
code won't ever work -- don't change it just a little bit so it seems like
it's working initially, but in non-trivial cases data is missing)

-Hoss