lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous Integration builds for branches
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:41:46 GMT
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Simon Willnauer
> <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I bring this on the list from a quick discussion on IRC with uwe.
>> Since we have these very valuable tests for Solr/Lucene trunk I would
>> like to propose the same thing for the big feature branches like
>> "realtime" and "docvalues". We usually move features to trunk to let
>> them bake in a bit and lets random test run to catch problems early.
>
> I have a few concerns:
>
> * If a branch is stable enough that you are worried about running 24/7
> random tests to find little things, I think that means its time to
> merge it to trunk?

True, but that still helps to find those little things that come out
if you run on trunk which can be fixed earlier. I don't think that
shooting those build mails to the dev list makes any sense. it should
go to individuals working on that branch.
We have the infrastructure why not running such a build a on commit
and once or twice a day... I don't see any reason why we shouldn't

> * In a lot of cases, I think a branch is going to be a bit too
> unstable for this kinda thing, people are going to be ripping things
> apart, thats why they have a branch. Even trunk seems a bit too
> unstable with the tests at the moment (though its improving)

See my comment about the mails above.

> * In a lot of cases a branch is a single person, maybe two working on
> it. If tests start bombing, maybe they are on vacation for two weeks
> and thats a lot of spam.

Again, above.