lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: inconsistency/performance trap of empty terms
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:00:12 GMT
Speaking of consistency, I think NOT_ANALYZED is superfluous. Drop
this mode, and it can be safely reproduced by a NotAnalyzingAnalyzer
(insert better name here).

Agree with infinity scores and other artefacts. Corner cases lead to
corner cases, that's fine.
As was proposed earlier, we can shield layman users with LengthFilter
included in all out-of-the-box Analyzers.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 15:25, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd say support them everywhere, and slip LengthFilter into all the
>> standard Analyzers, so people won't hit empty terms unless they opt-in
>> for it.
>> This is a most consistent approach.
>>

> And so there's no confusion, i want complete consistency... that
> includes KeywordAnalyzer in this case.
>
> what about IW's NOT_ANALYZED? lots of people use this and might not
> realize it will make empty terms, too.

Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785