lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Using long instead of int for docIds
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:13:06 GMT
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM, eks dev <eksdev@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> --- the practical limit for a single lucene index is ~100M docs anyway ---
>
> I do not see it that way, there are very practical cases (short documents)
> with 250M docs and  sub-second response times :)
> And I believe it can be pushed even further, especially when flex branch
> stabilizes

Of course... I've seen much bigger single indexes myself.
But I think it's a good ballpark for a "practical" upper bound when
you need to give one to people w/o further knowledge of their problem.
 People are normally better off sharding at that level, and often far
below that level, depending on the complexity of the queries,
faceting, etc).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com