lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Polymorphic Index
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:27:45 GMT
On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 11:23 +0200, eks dev wrote:
> Both of these solutions are just  better way to do it wrong :) The real solution
> is definitely somewhere around ParallelReader usage.

The problem with parallel is with updates of documents. The IndexWriter
takes terms and queries for deletions and that does not work with the
parallel approach as there must be separate IndexWriters for each index.
There will be no indexed UIDs in the searcher-oriented index, so there
is no way to perform the deletions.

> Ideally, one should be able to say by opening index which parts of index he is
> going to be using. One way to do it is to to create Parallel Indexes, searching
> part is fully functional and already there.

That is correct. If IndexWriter accepted docIDs for deletions, the
parallel approach would work (get the docID by searching the parallel
index, then use it for deletions in both indexes). Unfortunately it does
not so you'll need to tweak the IndexWriter. I don't know how hard that
is.

> Anyone using ParallelReader, any tips on creating parallel indexes?

I would suggest that you make sure that you can solve the delete-problem
first, before you start creating parallel indexes.