lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:17:44 GMT

On Oct 19, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Upayavira wrote:

> FWIW, the commit notices are just an SVN post-commit hook that uses the
> svn-mailer tool [http://opensource.perlig.de/svnmailer/]. I believe
> Grant has commit rights to that file - it is in the infra SVN right next
> to the old asf-auth file.

Yes, I do, but it isn't clear if this is something that could be handled through simple routing.
 I suppose one thing we could do is filter it through a dummy GMail account somehow.  Send
all commits to the GMail group and then have it send a digest email a few times a day to commits@l.a.o.
 It's ugly, but it might work.

FWIW, I get the sense that a lot of other projects deal with merges.  What do they do?

> Right now I have no idea whether svn-mailer can support the kind of
> filtering you are talking about, but there's no harm looking!
>
> Upayavira
>
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 06:45 -0400, "Michael McCandless"
> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  It was just a bit of a shocker for me the first time I did it and I see like
30 files changed when I only changed one file.

>> Me too.  In fact I think it's ridiculous -- violates principle of
>> least surprise.  I shouldn't have to see such details of the source
>> control system's impl....
>>
>> Furthermore, I think it may eventually turn into a serious perf issue,
>> since it seems to be an O(N^2) growth.  We are at 7 emails today,
>> which was only 3 emails not long ago.  Where will be be a few months
>> from now?  (Though I guess it is bounded by the total number of source
>> files we have in 3.x...).
>>
>> Maybe svn is trying to tell us to release 4.0, heh ;)
>>
>> Mike

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search