lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: encrypted data and mcrypt plugin
Date Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:35:43 GMT
The idea would be to create an own TokenFilter that encrypt the email
tokens. If you use this filter in addition to the other TokenFilter only for
the query side, but not the indexing chain, you can easiliy do this. During
indexing, the tokens are left unchanged (encrypted). On the search side, the
user input for that field is automatically encrypted during tokenization and
the index is searched for the encrypted email.

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de <http://www.thetaphi.de/>

eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

From: arekanderu [mailto:arekanderu@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:17 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: encrypted data and mcrypt plugin

Hello,

I have a users mysql table and one of the columns is the email address of
the user. For security reasons all emails are kept encrypted (with the use
of mcrypt library) inside the database.

Unfortunately this creates a problem when solr indexes the user data. The
solution i can think of is to create a solr plugin/filter to decrypt the
email address before indexing but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of
the encryption in the first place.

The other thing i thought of is to encrypt the email before i submit it to
solr for querying but in that way i can only search for exact matches.

I am looking for any input on this and I am also willing to pay for the
development of a plugin which will handle the decryption of the email before
it gets indexed - if that's a good idea in the first place -.

Thank you for any replies