lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: missing "q" gives 500 error
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 18:40:34 GMT

: > I don't think so ... that's what q.alt is for.
:
: q.alt is for dismax.
: What's wrong with matching no documents if no query is specified?
: It's actually more consistent when someone tries to specify a
: zero-length query (i.e. q=)

My bad - i was mistakenly thinking we had promoted q.alt to be a
QueryComponent param.

where are you suggesting we make the change? to QueryComponent or to the
LuceneQParser?

It makes sense in principle, but seems like QueryComponent shouldn't make
any assumptions if there is no "q" param - the QParser might have it's own
special rules (like DisMaxQParser and q.alt).  but if we put it in the
QParser, then every QParser that doesn't have special logic needs to deal
with it consistently.

Off the top of my head: we can make the QParsers return null if they
consider the request "valid" but containing no meaningful query (ie: blank
or missing q param) and then make QueryComponent short circut when the
Query object is null.

	?

-Hoss

--