lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:31:11 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> If somebody reorders the directory structure, I will shout “revert revert revert”
>

> I wouldn't shout "revert revert revert" if by renaming stuff from src/java to src/main/java
etc, Grant's idea would work, in that we still use ant for our build, but we have some way
to automagically generate IDE configuration files for eclipse, idea, netbeans, emacs, whatever,
via some maven tool.

> If this was the benefit, and the tradeoff being more difficult merging, and having to
ignore some path segments on existing patches, I might consider it worth the cost.

> but again, i have serious questions about maven in general. for example, what if I wanted
to add/modify a contrib that depends on a library that is not "mavenized"?   Is it my responsibility
to "mavenize" that dependency, too? Does it make the release artifact invalid? is it a valid
reason against adding that contrib, since its dependencies are not all mavenized?

Typically, this is done by adding the library in question to the release, renamed appropriately.
 For instance, in Solr, we had a trunk based version of Commons CSV at one point, so we put
it up w/ the Solr artifacts and had the POM reflect that.  But yeah, it can be a pain.

> the fact that maven acts like a computer virus, but requires special things of its hosts,
means that i am pretty hesitant to vote for "full support of it" without knowing exactly what
the tradeoffs are.

I'm not saying we have to support it, but, in my view, it's pretty hard to take back a feature,
admittedly only for some, that we have supported for a long time.