lucene-dev mailing list archives

From <karl.wri...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:16:14 GMT
“but again, i have serious questions about maven in general.”

Maybe you just need to drink the Maven Koolaid.  Unless they have something stronger… ;-)

Karl

From: ext Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 1:08 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: discussion about release frequency.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de<mailto:uwe@thetaphi.de>>
wrote:
If somebody reorders the directory structure, I will shout “revert revert revert” ☺

I wouldn't shout "revert revert revert" if by renaming stuff from src/java to src/main/java
etc, Grant's idea would work, in that we still use ant for our build, but we have some way
to automagically generate IDE configuration files for eclipse, idea, netbeans, emacs, whatever,
via some maven tool.

If this was the benefit, and the tradeoff being more difficult merging, and having to ignore
some path segments on existing patches, I might consider it worth the cost.

but again, i have serious questions about maven in general. for example, what if I wanted
to add/modify a contrib that depends on a library that is not "mavenized"?   Is it my responsibility
to "mavenize" that dependency, too? Does it make the release artifact invalid? is it a valid
reason against adding that contrib, since its dependencies are not all mavenized?

the fact that maven acts like a computer virus, but requires special things of its hosts,
means that i am pretty hesitant to vote for "full support of it" without knowing exactly what
the tradeoffs are.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com<mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com>