lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:37:51 GMT
It's good to see what appears to be a maven-positive resolution to this thread.  I've gotten
to this thread late, but FWIW, I've agreed with basically everything Ryan has said, as I am
a maven user too.

What would be *really cool* is Hudson automatically uploading the artifacts of each build
to an apache maven snapshot repo (which I don't think would require any public/private key
blessing).  This used to be the case in SOLR-586 (thanks Grant!) but it has since broke.
I'll file a bug report.

~ David Smiley
 Author: https://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/book

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan McKinley [mailto:ryantxu@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:20 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: discussion about release frequency.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> To automatically test if the maven files work, we would need to run
>> maven...  that seems like a non-starter for many people.
>>

> why is this a problem? I don't mind having maven installed and setup if i
> can run 'ant test-maven' and do verifications on these things.
> even if that involves simply forking a 'mvn' process externally.

You sound so reasonable.  There is lots of evidence that when people
hear the word "maven" they freak out and say "no.  no. no. nooooo!!!"

>> We could easily add a maven test project -- but for it to be 'real' it
>> needs to use maven.  I'll happily volunteer to write it.
>>

> sounds great, i thought this was the idea
> here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2268
> I mean, even during normal development, if there was an easy single command
> i could run to verify i'm not breaking maven support, this would help,
> especially when refactoring / moving things around / etc.
> I wouldn't mind running this at all, to try to keep maven functional. I also
> wouldn't mind debugging or even trying to figure out bits of maven until i
> make it pass.
> my problem is just that without any automated verification like this: maven
> is just a big scary piece of code with no tests, and I cannot touch it!

I'll take a crack at LUCENE-2268 so that I am not that guy saying "you
need to do XXXX" when clearly you don't (really) care if XXXX happens
or not :)

ps.  sorry the 'release discussion' got hijaked by another maven discussion!

ryan