lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:07:58 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2010, at 8:44 AM, Robert Muir wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>> At any rate, the big problem w/ Maven and Lucene is not that generate-maven-artifacts
doesn't work, it's that the POM templates aren't kept in sync.  However, I think we now have
a solution for that thanks to Steve and Robert's work to make it easier to bring Lucene into
IntelliJ.  In other words, that process does much of what is needed for Maven, so it should
be relatively straightforward to have it automatically generate the templates, too.  In fact,
it would be just as easy for that project to simply produce POM files (which are well understood
and have a published spec) instead of creating the IntelliJ project files, which are not well
understood and not publicly spec'd and subject to change w/ every release and simply have
IntelliJ suck in the POM file since IntelliJ supports that very, very well.

>> So are you saying, instead of generating IntelliJ configuration, we generate poms,
and then we have a route, via maven, for users to automatically set up their IntelliJ (and
also eclipse?) IDEs?

>> If so this sounds great to me. Because it would be nice to make the IDE configuration
easier, not just for IntelliJ.

> Yes.  I know for a fact IntelliJ can read the POMs.  I use it all the time.  Go check
out Mahout and point IntelliJ at it's POM.  You will be up and compiling  (in your IDE) in
less than 2 minutes give or take.  I imagine Eclipse has similar support.

I should correct myself here.  While all of the above is true, it likely still won't work
for Lucene b/c the source trees aren't in line w/ Maven conventions.  Thus, we will probably
still need to output IntelliJ format.  I do, however, think it isn't much of a leap to also
output a POM file.

-Grant