lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Fwd: [Lucene-java Wiki] Trivial Update of "ReleaseTodo" by YonikSeeley
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:01:11 GMT

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Apache Wiki <>
> Date: September 20, 2010 12:52:19 PM EDT
> To: Apache Wiki <>
> Subject: [Lucene-java Wiki] Trivial Update of "ReleaseTodo" by YonikSeeley
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-java Wiki" for change
> The "ReleaseTodo" page has been changed by YonikSeeley.
> The comment on this change is: add same disclaimer that the solr release howto has, before
anyone this this is iron-clad or has been voted on..
> - ''Note: You need committer rights to create a new Lucene release.''
> + This page is to help a Lucene/Solr committer create a new release (you need committer
rights for some of the steps to create an official release). It does not reflect official
release policy - many of the items may be optional, or may be modified as necessary.

I think putting this up on the wiki is a bad idea.  We should strive to have a repeatable
release process.  By saying it is up to the person who happens to be doing the release is
just asking for less quality in our releases.  If you don't think you can follow the release
process, then you shouldn't be doing the release.  And, if we as a community can't define
a repeatable release process, then we shouldn't have a release either.

View raw message