lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Indexing and threads
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:40:21 GMT
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Jan H√łydahl / Cominvent
<jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
> How are threads being used when indexing?
>
> Let's say document A and B are ingested in parallell to XMLUpdateRequestHandler in two
separate threads.
> How far down the chain are the processing of these done in the two separate threads?

All the way to the Lucene IndexWriter, where they are also processed
in parallel.

> Is the full UpdateRequestChain run in the same thread as the incoming request?

Yes.

> Is analysis done in the request thread or in a single indexing thread?

Request thread.

> Are ADDs added to the same "commit queue", and then from COMMIT and down to Lucene segment
building everything is single-threaded?

While a commit is happening in Solr, adds are blocked.  This is
historical - in the past, Lucene didn't really handle that type of
concurrency for you, and so Solr did.  We need to improve this at some
point...

-Yonik
http://lucenerevolution.org  Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8