lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:44:50 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:

> At any rate, the big problem w/ Maven and Lucene is not that
> generate-maven-artifacts doesn't work, it's that the POM templates aren't
> kept in sync.  However, I think we now have a solution for that thanks to
> Steve and Robert's work to make it easier to bring Lucene into IntelliJ.  In
> other words, that process does much of what is needed for Maven, so it
> should be relatively straightforward to have it automatically generate the
> templates, too.  In fact, it would be just as easy for that project to
> simply produce POM files (which are well understood and have a published
> spec) instead of creating the IntelliJ project files, which are not well
> understood and not publicly spec'd and subject to change w/ every release
> and simply have IntelliJ suck in the POM file since IntelliJ supports that
> very, very well.

So are you saying, instead of generating IntelliJ configuration, we generate
poms, and then we have a route, via maven, for users to automatically set up
their IntelliJ (and also eclipse?) IDEs?

If so this sounds great to me. Because it would be nice to make the IDE
configuration easier, not just for IntelliJ.

> Then, to automatically test Maven, we simply need to do a few things:
> 1. Generate the templates
> 2. Build the Maven artifacts and "install" them (this is a Maven concept
> that copies them to your local repository, usually in ~/.mvn/repository, but
> it can be in other places and it should be clean)
> 3. Generate a "test" pom that includes, as dependencies all the Lucene
> Maven artifacts and maybe even compiles a small source tree with it

+1. this would resolve all my concerns about maven, because we have a way to
test that it stands a chance of working *before release*.

I hope you don't think I am picking on maven here, I'm equally disturbed
about the demo application, and i think it should have a basic unit test too
that indexes stuff, fires itself up in jetty, and runs a search.

Like maven, i know some people don't necessarily like the demo, but as long
as we are going to ship it, I want tests so that we dont find its completely
nonfunctional after the release. Unlike maven, i think i stand a chance of
actually being able to write the test for this one though.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com