lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:16:36 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:

> Maven artifact production under Lucene's/Solr's Ant build suffers from the
> same problem as releasing generally: lack of automation.  Too much manual
> intervention is required to keep the .pom templates in sync, etc.
>  LUCENE-2268 would afford confidence in the produced artifacts, but it would
> do nothing to address the current production process problems.

How do other projects handle this? especially ones that "leave it to
interested users to do the maven releasing", since that sounds like what we
want to do.

as far as LUCENE-2268 not helping much, you might be right, I don't
understand maven at all... but the fact we currently "support" this but have
absolutely no way to test it is wrong.
the other day i was actually looking at ant's xml validation task:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/xmlvalidate.html thinking the build could
at least make sure someone doesnt forget a </bar> in these pom.xml files...
even this would be an improvement.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com