lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:37:22 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:

> Typically, this is done by adding the library in question to the release,
> renamed appropriately.  For instance, in Solr, we had a trunk based version
> of Commons CSV at one point, so we put it up w/ the Solr artifacts and had
> the POM reflect that.  But yeah, it can be a pain.

I don't understand this, if I, as a lucene committer, can arbitrarily
publish commons CSV artifacts under maven, without being a commons CSV
committer, then why does someone have to be a lucene committer to publish
maven artifacts?!

Furthermore, if this is possible, then why does lucene itself have to
support maven, if someone else (e.g. hibernate) can simply download our jar
files and do the same?

> I'm not saying we have to support it, but, in my view, it's pretty hard to
> take back a feature, admittedly only for some, that we have supported for a
> long time.

I'm not sure we supported it, it seems to be a broken feature in nearly
every release.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com