lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:47:07 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <
chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>  Hi Robert,
>
> I can help a little here. Check out this guide:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html
>
> The long and the short of it is that there are several canonical Maven
> repos that are sync’ed to Ibiblio and Maven central. Apache has one (through
> repository.apache.org), and other organizations have em’ too. In Tika, we
> simply inherit from the top level Apache POM and the Maven release plugin
> takes care of the rest. I’m not sure how to do this with Ant, but am sure it
> can be done (and it might be aided by Ivy).
>
> If you are just doing it when you release, which doesn’t happen that often,
> then you could consider just creating a Ticket and uploading the release
> jars through the Sonatype JIRA process, located here:
>
> http://nexus.sonatype.org/oss-repository-hosting.html
>
> Guide is here:
>

> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/repository/sonatype+oss+maven+repository+usage+guide
>
> Hope that helps!

Thank you Chris. Actually this does help a lot, more than you think.
I tried to digest these guides and it only reinforced my opinion that I
shouldn't be involved with maven at all.

I don't mean to criticise the maven project by any means, but as a software
developer there are times when you look at something and you say 'this is
way too complicated, it just simply isn't compatible with my brain'. I know
some people prefer ant, some people prefer maven, some people write their
own python scripts and still use emacs, and I'm not trying to say I have
preference over any given system.

I cannot in good conscience sign with my key, nor vote over any maven
artifacts. I noticed these guides only mentioned how to upload (which itself
seems extremely complex). But nowhere do i see 'how do you test that your
artifacts are correct'. And thats really the main problem I have with our
maven support.

I don't care how easy it is to actually upload things (via plugin X or a
JIRA issue). I want to know things are correct before uploading them
anywhere.
So, I think my original statement still stands. I'm happy to volunteer as RM
as long as we realize this means no maven involved. If someone else wants to
take on the 'maven' role, thats fantastic!

If its not acceptable to do a release without being a maven expert, I am
fine with that too. I can contribute in other ways such as improving
automation.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com