lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:34:54 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure it would be useful yet.  There is consensus that the
> process needs to improve.  The only concrete 'vote' i could imagine
> now is to drop maven.

I completely agree the process needs to improve, but at the end of the day,
if we are planning to support maven officially in releases, i think we
should vote on it becoming part of the actual release process.

So maybe its premature to vote on this part, but at the same time, I have
concerns about what it would take to 'fully support' maven.

For example, if we have to reorganize our source tree to what it wants
(src/main/java, src/main/test), and rename our artifacts to what it wants
(-SNAPSHOT, etc), this is pretty important. what else might maven 'require'.

its also my understanding that in the past, when maven is upgraded (e.g.
Maven 2), it might require you to modify your project in ways such as this
to fit its new "needs".

>From what I know of maven, its quite inflexible about such things, and I
want to know what i'm getting into before we claim to 'make maven first
class citizen'.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com